Welcome to the Home Page of the Theravada Buddhist Centre, Bristol (registered charity: 1082096). The centre is dedicated to providing access to talks on Theravada Buddhism and instruction on meditation for those living in Bristol and the South West.
What is Theravada Buddhism?
Theravada is one of the oldest schools of Buddhism and draws its scriptural inspiration from the original teachings of the Buddha. It is the predominant religion in Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Burma and Thailand. In the past fifty years Theravada Buddhism has begun to take root in the West.
Check out the What's On page for more details on meditation evenings and one-day retreats.
1) Songkran Thai New Year Festival celebration on Sunday 24th of April 2011. Once again, thanks to everyone who attended this event at Bath City Football Club.
2) Loy Krathong Festival, Sunday 5th of December 2010. Thanks once again to everyone who attended this event at St Bonaventures Community Hall, Bristol.
3) Songkran Thai New Year Festival celebration on Sunday 25th of April 2010. Thanks to everyone who attended this event at the new venue of Bath City Football Club.
4) Loy krathong in Bristol on Sunday 13 November 2009 at Manor Hall. This year's Loy krathong was once again very well attended. Thanks once again to everyone who helped to make Sunday such a memorable day.
5) Songkran Thai New Year Festival celebration on Sunday 26th of April 2009. Thanks to everyone who attended this event at St Bonaventures Community Hall, Bristol.
6) Magha Puja celebration on Sunday 22nd of February 2009. Thanks to everyone who attended this Buddhist event at the Multifaith Chaplaincy in Bristol.
7) Loy krathong in Bristol on Sunday 14th of December 2008. This year's Loy krathong at St Bonaventures Community Hall was a great success. Thanks once again to everyone who helped to make it such a memorable day.
8) Bristol Songkran Festival on the 13th of April 2008. This year's event was held again at Manor Hall and was judged by all who attended to be a great success. Online videos can be viewed on the Bristol University and UWE Thai Society Blog. Photos of the event can be viewed here.
9) Merit-Making Ceremony on Sunday 13th of January 2008. Thanks to all those who attended our new year celebration in Bristol.
10) Loy krathong in Bristol on Sunday 25 November 2007. This year's Loy krathong was an historic occasion as it was the first time that this event has been held in Bristol. Thanks very much to everyone who helped to make Sunday such a memorable day.
11) Asalha Puja Day, Sunday 29th of July. Thanks to everyone who helped to make the day such a success at Oddfellows Hall.
12) The official opening ceremony of the new Buddavihara Temple at Kings Bromley in the Midlands on Sunday 1st of July was a great success. Over 1,500 people turned up on Sunday to celebrate the event.
13) Vesak festival on Sunday 17th of June. Thanks to everyone who turned up to the Thai Classic restaurant in Bristol to celebrate Vesak, the day that commemorates the great three events: the Birth, Enlightenment and Death of the Buddha.
14) Songkran festival in Bristol. Over a hundred people attended the first Songkran festival in Bristol, helping to make the event a huge success.
15) A big thank you to everyone who attended Merit-making on Maga Puja Day on
Sunday 4 March 2007 at the Theosophical Society. May everyone be well and happy.
16) Official opening of the Theravada Buddhist Centre in Bristol on 12 November 2006.